Wednesday 17 July 2013

Lessons Learned

Angmering Daddy and I have learned an important lesson this week: things change!  We're away on our holidays at the moment and we got here by car because we always travel by car.  Our families don't live near us, so we're used to packing up everything but the kitchen sink and driving hundreds of miles.  Whenever we go on a long car journey, Munchkin sleeps, usually for the whole journey.  Um... Well, she used to!  She now sleeps for an hour or two, then wakes up.  And she doesn't just wake up, she screams so loudly that anyone within five miles also wakes up!

We've been travelling by car when we go on holiday because I have an aversion to taking infants on planes.  I've got friends who've done it without any problems, but it's not for me.  I can picture it now: Munchkin is tired but refusing to sleep since she's in a strange place and there might be something interesting going on.  She doesn't want to sit still.  She wants her own seat (the only way she'll get one is if I sit on Daddy's lap).  The clincher is that she's freaked out by her ears popping and screams until we land.

Next year we may have to reconsider.  Hopefully Munchkin aged 2 1/2 will understand if we explain what's going on in the plane.  We'd only do a short flight as I wouldn't want to antagonise her or the other passengers too much.  In the meantime, we need to complete our journey from Ireland to Sussex in three legs, two of which exceed Munchkin's current sleep threshold... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment